Return to Designers Society Guest Home
HomeHomeFAQRegisterLog in

Second Currency Debate

AuthorMessage
Leandra
Owner
Personal Description : Say what you mean.
Diamonds Diamonds : 193

I'm thinking about adding a second way to earn and spend. This currency would be much more rare and take more work to earn, but would give great rewards. For example, you would be able to get special fashions, features, and more with this new currency. There would be many ways to earn like certain awards and special contests. You could also convert points to this new currency. The purpose would be to help members with more points gain an interest to earn this new currency and to add an extra way to get special things. Yes or no, vote now!

Last edited by Leandra on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.designerssociety.net
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should we have a second currency?
Yes
33%
 33% [ 6 ]
No
39%
 39% [ 7 ]
Maybe
28%
 28% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Second Currency Debate Comments

Re: Second Currency Debate
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:13 pm by Zuly

I think this is very unique idea. This would encourage more members to earn points and do other things to earn the second currency. I definitely take part of this.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:34 pm by Tammy

I don't think we should because no offense but what would we spend it on? I mean everything we buy on here is made by members and how would you determine the fashions "special"? We already buy new packs and stuff with points so. I just don't think there would be any point to adding another currency system I just think it would be to much work for something kinda unnecessary??
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 pm by phantom

I kinda agree with Tammy, the second points system is kind of unnecessary. Why not just make these special designs/features worth more points? Having two sets of currencies would be really confusing. Also, no offense, but I have a feeling that everyone would eventually have way too much of these special points too.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 pm by Pink

I agree with Tammy and Phantom, but I do also think that it would be nice to have something difficult to get to work for.

Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda like the feather system???
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 pm by Leandra

This wouldn't be something that you could just gain lots of, it would be only a few over time that you could get (kinda like special offers). Also there would be new things to spend them on such as a special society store, specific society store items, certain bank features, and other new things Id be adding down the road. These things that you would get with it wouldn't be just your typical items, they would be very luxurious and high end and give members who already have lots of points something to work towards. An example would be a special new materials page that cost some of this new currency, and would offer super special things. More examples: the option to get a gold and glittered banner without being a team member, access to team office/specials, etc. Another part of this too is that in some cases you may decide you would rather pay for some things with this currency like certain bank items, or if somehow you didn't have sufficient points at the time. A good example of this is how stardoll has two forms of currency, the one being harder to earn but offers more special items. A main difference with this though is it wouldn't even be as common as stardollars(for those of you who know what Im talking about). You would only earn like one at a time and special things might sell for 1 or 2 etc. Hopefully this makes sense but the point is to add some new things in another form from points, especially since many seem to accumulate a lot of points and then it loses value.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm by phantom

Well I guess it would be good to have something hard to work for, but it also kinda depends on how often you can get them... if the price for one item/feature is 1, and there only like three contests a year I'm not sure people would even bother, but I think you'll be able to maintain a good balance. I do like where you're heading with it, but I still think it would be easier just to price these things really high instead of starting a brand new system.

It kind of strikes me as those games that have 2 types of currency, where there are really great items you can get with the second currency, but you have to pay like $10 for 200 of these special currency things (and the average for buying one of the special items is like 500). Okay that's kind of exaggerating but I think you get what I mean.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm by Pink

Well I do like the idea of being able to buy things that are valuable like exclusive designs in society stores and such, but I think that being able to buy access to the office and having a sparkly banner will lower the value of being elite/on a team..
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 pm by Leandra

Well they won't be necessary to buy for sure and not soooo extremely rare that there are only a few given a year. My thinking was something like you can exchange say 10,000 points for 1 of these, was gonna call them diamonds possibly. There would also be other ways to earn them such as when you get one of those gold awards you'd gain one. Also not just in contests but at other times too such as the smaller contests I offer on my blog and even a challenge where you get one. Another way would be graduates of the DSU gain one or two. Several ways to earn them without getting overly abundant, but not too rare that they need to be bought. They also won't be something you need to buy lots of to get one thing like on those games where you can buy them for actual money and it costs like hundreds of them to get one thing. Another way to look at it too, members with tons of points for example myself and members with say 40-50k would still be only be able to buy 5 of these and they would need to earn points again. I didn't originally want to add a second currency but many members are just gaining tons of points, spending very few, getting tons of stuff, and it's going to wear out for members with lots of points. Also if I try to mark things up higher in points, members just don't seem to buy them and in example with the recent price changes, have even complained about it even if they can afford it. If I see more members pricing items higher and points start to gain more value then I'll remove it. Otherwise it looks like many loyal members won't have as much to look towards earning...(Think of this too, team members get paid in points so they gain an abundance of them and this would be a way to spend some and another thing to try to earn that they aren't already getting). My point: We need something that is worth a lot to even the members with lots of points and something they want to earn.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 pm by Leandra

Also Pink those were just examples of some things, I haven't fully decided all the offers but it won't be things that lower the elite/team value I promise.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 pm by Tammy

I just think it would be such and unnecessary feature to add to the site? This is probably just me but whats so wrong about just having the regular point system and only it? I think it works perfectly fine and with new people joining and doing challenges adding more points its not that hard to gain a bunch of points if we made the so called "luxury" items that were priced higher, we could buy them priced higher. I just think having another currency system would make the point system lose even more of it's value since it "can only buy normal things"...

Like every site out there has 2 different currency's and yeah I get that it's sometimes nice to have it I guess because you get to buy "special" items. However most sites like that sort of "exclude" those who don't have those special points and what not. That's why I left stardoll because I didn't like how everything that I really wanted or "high end" was in the special second currency.

What if members don't win anything or have enough points to convert as well? What will we do man.

Also I don't think it really matters that some members are accumulating a lot of points? Since there are around 5300 and some people don't even have 100 the points kind of spread out evenly. Also since of the new gallery pricing has gone up things are being sold for much more so finally some points are being circulated normally again. I had like 8000 before and now I'm down to 5000 and I've legit only bought like 5 things in the past 2 months. So the points haven't even really lost their value??

Most of us don't even have 10,000 points if we were to convert lol

and this is probs just me but I actually like watching myself gain points because I spend a lot and don't sell much idk
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 pm by Leandra

I agree with your points a lot there tammy, I just want to find ways for the members with lots of points to gain some interest too. An example is how Desert has just like 50,000 points collecting and nothing to spend them on, so when I get a custom from her and pay her in points I feel like it isn't enough to give her since she already has too much to use lol. I will tryyyy raising some prices on things first, but if for some reason that doesn't help then I'll open this up again for discussion. Any other comments/addons you can all continue to make too :)
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 pm by Pink

Idk I just like this idea tbh I don't think anyone will buy things if they cost a lot even if they're amazing. At first I was pretty reluctant to buy stuff for 1000 pts, but I started to anyway and spent like 3000. Before the points were even deducted I already earned like half of it back. I think it'd be nice to earn special currency to spend on things that'll be more valuable.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:30 pm by phantom

Not many people besides you and Desert have that many points. Some members who have been here a long time only have like 20000 points total (including spent points) which would equal 2 of these diamonds (that's just what I'm gonna call them for now.)
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:14 pm by Leandra

Exactly so even a member with 20k who spent on 2 diamonds would then have to shop careful and the diamonds would be worth a lot. They'd also then have to work to earn more points and diamonds as well. This is still on the fence so if we get more votes for yes then Ill see about adding this in because I think it'd add an extra element. Also it isn't like stardoll where the special new currency excludes people that don't pay for it, you can earn it.
Post on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 pm by Shelli

If anyone remembers, we had something like a second currency back then. Feathers for fashions, that was removed. I don't know if this would be a good idea. But I understand the idea, if that makes since.
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:32 am by mykelbe

I have a lot of points because I actually buy them. It is very important for me to support this site in ways that I can. I know that that is not an option for everyone. I think that it might help to get a feel as to what motivates members to spend their points. I think that it would help if there were official places to display outfits, boutiques etc. that have been created from items that we have bought. We could be required to label the item with the designer's name before submitting. Have a ONE of a kind boutique where a members could submit entries and have certain number for sale each month. Sort of like getting to buy the contest winning designs.( a bit like the store of fame but one only) I think we need a reason to buy items other than just stockpiling them in folders on our computers. These are just a few quick thoughts based on my motivations. Other member's motivations will open the ideas' door open. lion 
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:11 pm by pritz

even i think mykelbe's got a point.....There are some really nice fashions in the gallery but no one buys them there should be a reason to buy fashions other then just stockpiling....i also don't like buying things much because there is no specific reason,i just keep them saved in my computer... i have bought 25 fashions just to get the award other than that i m more interested in making things other than buying.....
This our my views and i hope no one will be offended by my views and i also accept other people's views it depends on person to person and it may differ.....
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:28 pm by Chloe

I for one, as a teenager, would literally leave DS if some features were only avaliable to donators. As a teenager there are much more things i'd rather spend my money on.
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 pm by Chloe

idk if you decide to do this i just wont participate for the diamonds i guess because like i would never spend 10,000 points on some designs so why would i spend that on 1 diamond that can buy me like 1 fashion what
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:50 pm by ArtisticBiscuit

I don't think we need a new way to get points rather a new way to spend them. Also a new way to use the fashions we buy so there is a point to having loads saved on the computer. Like contests or games with them....who knows but, it would give members an insentive to buy.

However, people who donate should get rewarded somehow. Leandra never mentioned anything about having to donate to the site actual money for the currency.

I think it would be better to find new ways to use the things we get with the points like fashions than to gain more money/points to have floating around.
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:41 pm by phantom

Maybe there should be boutique/outfit contests that use only other people's designs, like, you aren't allowed to use designs you've created, just assembling outfits/boutiques with others' designs. I know the Outfit Sharing thread was really popular but eventually it died, so maybe another one of those would help. But I also think a lot of things aren't being bought in the gallery just because people don't like spending their points...
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:00 pm by Chloe

//
still voting for leandra to deduct 9,000 points from everyone yay
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:45 pm by mykelbe

@Chloe wrote:
I for one, as a teenager, would literally leave DS if some features were only avaliable to donators. As a teenager there are much more things i'd rather spend my money on.
I agree with that point. (htb) I donate to help. The points were a nice side benefit. I think that the feature as it is now set up leads to inequality.
Post on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:23 pm by Renko

@Tammy wrote:
Most of us don't even have 10,000 points if we were to convert lol
I don't even have 13.5K points >>; Though I am close

@Chloe wrote:
idk if you decide to do this i just wont participate for the diamonds i guess because like i would never spend 10,000 points on some designs so why would i spend that on 1 diamond that can buy me like 1 fashion what
^ That. It may sound "just like a new currency" but that's basically what you're doing if you take 10K of your points, turn 'em into a diamond, and then spend that 1 Diamond / 10K Points on a fancy, "realistic" dress (IF it's even CLOSE to realistic >>;). If I were to turn 10K Points to 1 Diamond just to spend it on a dress, then that would have to be ONE HECK of a REALLY good dress that I would cherish FOREVER and EVER (which, seeing as this is a game online, that would never happen, and if it did, then I'd be shocked "all the way down the hill").

If we're going to do this, then at least one of these are probably going to have to happen if Diamonds are going to be actually "well-used":

1) Points become REALLY easy to get,
2) Diamonds are common to obtain,
3) The designs you buy with diamonds are REALLY, REALLY good,
4) Something else?

So unless we're going to think of Points as common as Pennies, and Diamonds as fine as Dollars, then I probably won't spend the Diamonds I get unless it's for a good reason.

Keep in mind this is just MY opinion and MY thoughts, and I have NOTHING against anyone I might've quoted and I have NOTHING against your mother. Thank you.
Post  by Sponsored content

Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mod Tools:

Need Help?
"Designers Society is about girls and women alike joining Together, supporting Eachother, and becoming Friends
in a Society of Designers."
-Leandra, Creator/Owner
Code Rewards | Earn Diamonds, Points & Ranks | Contact the Owner | Purchase Points | Help Center | Forumotion