Return to Designers Society Guest Home
HomeHomeFAQRegisterLog in

Best tablets to design on?

AuthorMessage
Ciel

Diamonds Diamonds : 4

I was thinking about getting a tablet to help me make my designs,
but I don't know which one to get... Should I get a graphics tablet or just a regular tablet?

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Best tablets to design on? Comments

Re: Best tablets to design on?
Post on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:50 pm by mykelbe

Love to have input on this too! Leandra knows alot about this area!
Post on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:20 pm by Desert

If you're really invested in actual graphic designs and like drawing on photoshop/sai whatever then I would probably suggest buying a  graphic tablet that's made specifically for that sort of thing. If you are a bit of a "newbie" artist and are just getting into art and stuff i'd probably recommend getting a "pad" tablet versus a LCD Tablet (which is one where you draw directly on the screen). A great start off brand is Wacom, i'd probably suggest something from the Bamboo line like the Bamboo capture, splash, create etc. They're relatively cheap like 80-150ish dollars, I have the Bamboo Create and i believe Leandra has the same one, and Jazzy has one of the Bamboo's too, and it works great, there's a lot of support online if something does go wrong and there are new updates every so often, so thats nice. I think Gymo has an LCD Graphic tablet so if you are interested about that you can ask her about it.
A regular tablet wouldn't be that great for designing because they're not really designed for that, but you can still use it if you get a large enough tablet and stylus, and there are some fairly good drawing apps for the iPad,at least. But if you're looking to buy a tablet solely for designing i would definitely not buy a regular tablet.
Post on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:32 pm by Shelli

Thanks, Desert. I am indecisive between a couple products. But your info cleared up some things.
Post on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:11 am by mykelbe

Great info! Do you happen to know what your Bamboo Create model # is Desert?
Post on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:22 pm by angelinamc

Thanks Ciel for asking this question I was wondering about that myself, and thank you Desert for the info that is very helpful:)
Post on Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:50 pm by Claire

I have a Wacom intuos pen and touch and I loveeeeee it. It was $90 on Amazon and it comes with photoshop elements and a couple of other programs which is great. But yeah I would go with Wacom, and then you can choose to your personal preference on what kind suits you best.
Post on Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:53 pm by Soap

@claire i have the exact same one, and i would agree! the only think about it that i dislike is that the chord is preeetttty short. however, i think there is a wireless option, so if you're picky like me, you might want to look into that.
Post on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:38 pm by Leandra

Yeah agreed with Desert on this, I have the Wacom Bamboo Create which works well and cost about $200 but that was like a almost 2 years ago so probably less now. They also have several others that you can choose from based on preference and price range if you look on the wacom website. As far as mobile tablets go I'm not completely sure but i know that there are pens that wacom also makes that you can use for drawing with a ipad or android tablet.
Post on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:52 pm by Soap

i have tried drawing on both an ipad mini and the full-size ipad (i don't own any of the microsoft tablets or what-not so maybe what i'm about to say won't apply to those), and even with a stylus, drawing is extremely difficult. tablet styluses are pretty much thin, loose cushions on the tip of a pole (imagine drawing with a deflated pencil eraser). there is little-to-no traction, so basic lines will turn out wonky and out of place, which isn't very good considering the intricate details that go into the standard piece of DS clothing.

honestly, i would suggest going with a drawing tablet because if you're main priority is to draw, a regular tablet is twice the price and less than half of the functions.
Post on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:23 pm by Jazzy

I have the Bamboo Splash and it's amazing. It's on the smaller side but it still completely serves it's purpose. I looked on amazon.com and u can get one for $57, which is pretty cheap for a drawing tablet. It's probably the simplest of the bamboo series, but works perfectly. Like everyone's said-definitely go for a graphics tablet, particularly wacom.
Post  by Sponsored content

Page 1 of 1

Mod Tools:

Need Help?
"Designers Society is about girls and women alike joining Together, supporting Eachother, and becoming Friends
in a Society of Designers."
-Leandra, Creator/Owner
Code Rewards | Earn Diamonds, Points & Ranks | Contact the Owner | Purchase Points | Help Center | Forumotion