HomeHomeFAQRegisterLog in

Society Reader Opinions

AuthorMessage
BBates
DS Socialite
Motto : Certified Beauty
Diamonds Diamonds : 119

What would you like to see in the Society Reader? Any particular articles? Any fun games?
Now is your chance to reveal your opinion about the sr and what you would like to see, see more of, less of or even dismiss from the sr mag
We want to ensure all ds users are getting quality in the magazine!! So now is your chance to say opinions on what you would like or not like

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Society Reader Opinions Comments

Re: Society Reader Opinions
Post on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:47 am by ArtisticBiscuit
More design tips and tutorials.
Maybe fashion advice. Outfit ideas.
Less big blocks of text that are uneasy to read.

I think the issues need to be motivation for members to get involved in the site.
Like step up the game to get more active users and inspire newbies to try out new design techniques.
Post on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am by ArtisticBiscuit
The SR could take inspiration from real fashion magazines. In terms of creative layouts. Be more interesting to look at. Give each page a professional feel. Not bashing out the information in short time. Take consideration for placement of every element on the page.

Some pages can look a bit bland compared to others. The info and content is good but layput bit stagnant.

Sorry to be a negative pain.
Post on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm by Leandra
@ArtisticBiscuit I get what you mean about layout, but at the same time I've been allowing many to collaborate and design their own pages. While everything isn't exactly cohesive this way, I don't want to cut members out of the page design process either. I've considered making somewhat templates that members can use and fill in with information and such... I also considered just making everything in Adobe Indesign myself also since Jilster has somewhat limited tools, versus an actual publication program. Thoughts?
Post on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:20 pm by ArtisticBiscuit
It's the bland pages where it's one block of text on a pattern background...those type of pages are lacking personality. 

You could do pages on other programs and paste them in.  I don't think it's the members doing pages with own personality that's bad. That adds interest into each issue. 
It's some pages feel rushed and not thought out. 

A template would make each issue the same and repetitive, wouldn't it?
Post on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 am by VKitty
I like the magazine as it is! It offers insight and a great amount of inspiration! Maybe add more tutorials like before and showcase more member designs whether it be from the boutiques or just individual designs in some way or form. :)
Post on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:59 am by Leandra
I have a tendency to think that a little bit of similarity through the pages makes it more cohesive though. A template doesn't necessarily mean it'd be repetitive, I was just thinking some guidelines for layout such as places to put text and images with many templates for members to choose from and use. think the part that throws me off most is that while everyone has their own style and that comes through great, I think when you read it all together and there are a large variety of fonts and colors going on that it gets to be a bit cluttered. I try to keep all my pages with the same font styles and color schemes, but obviously that doesn't always mean everyone follows those.
I would like everything to feel more professional as far as similar to a fashion magazine, but at the same time we also can only get so detailed before things become unreadable or too cluttered. That's why I often keep things relatively simple since otherwise members would complain about not being able to see things (even if I could add a lot more content that way). I really like Jilster but like I said I've considered making m own versions with an actual publication program and coming up with my own way of displaying it on the site(that might allow for larger size pages, possibly one page at a time?)
Post on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 pm by BBates
@Leandra I like it on jilster and how all of us can come together to show our love of this great place we call ds so please keep it on jilster and allow other members like me and such continue to create pages!! Everyone's unique way really brings us all together in the community
Post on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:54 pm by ArtisticBiscuit
Members doing pages brings the community together.
Post on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:52 pm by Moon
@ArtisticBiscuit

The problem is that the pages are significantly smaller to view than an actual magazine and by trying to make really cool lay outs you compromise making text even smaller making it harder to read. I've tried lol.
Post on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:55 pm by Leandra
Exactly as @moon said... It's a great thought to make things more like an actual magazine but that requires more space. As far as other members contributing, trust me I don't want to get rid of that the help is very much needed. I'm trying to figure out what the solution would be though when it comes to the overall style and everybody coordinating designs easily. I usually send out pm's with the invites to those who help and then any fonts and colors I plan to use/the overall theme. Maybe there's other info or planning that'd help everyones pages look more cohesive?
Post on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:33 pm by ArtisticBiscuit
With a bit of imagination you can do anything. 
You can create a real magazine vibe in a small space. Especially with the contemporary minimalist look.

Here are some page examples we can quite easily implicate and copy the styles:

Post on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:21 pm by Leandra
They are all nice I agree, but if you notice most of this is barely legible even at this size. For example the first page "behind the scenes" most of that text wouldn't be legible on a page of the society reader... I know what you mean about mixing up the layout though.
Post on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 am by ArtisticBiscuit
Obviously with less text. Fewer words. But those kind of layouts.
Post on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:55 am by Leandra
Yes, Im trying it for this upcoming issue. I just sent out messages with details to those of you helping. Hopefully we can try to make a more magazine feeling layout! I included some inspirations but may also see about making easy to use templates in the future possibly. Something similar to this... members could simply put content over top and then delete the template when done. Obviously there would be a large variety of styles with it too.
Post on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 am by ArtisticBiscuit
Excellent thanks. Looking forward to how this theme and style will turn out.
Post  by Sponsored content

Page 1 of 1

Mod Tools:

Need Help?
"Designers Society is about everyone joining Together, supporting Eachother, and becoming Friends
in a Society of Designers."
-Leandra, Creator/Owner
Earn Diamonds, Points & Ranks | Advertise Us | Help Center | Contact the Owner | Forumotion